[RS-ecology] Calculation of fractional cover for each vegetation class matching MODIS LST pixel

heng huang hh8em at virginia.edu
Thu Nov 16 06:25:19 CET 2017

Dear All,

I am trying to look at the differences in land surface temperature between
different vegetation types. For example, I have a Landsat land cover map
with 30-m resolution and I want to calculate the fractional cover for each
vegetation class (forests, grasslands and croplands etc.) matching MODIS
swath and do a linear regression analysis linking land cover percentage
with the corresponding MODIS LST for each 1-km resolution pixel. Therefore,
the fractional changes will be calculated by computing at 30m the
proportion of each vegetation class (e.g. forest) that occupy each MODIS
1km grid cell, but I hardly found any practical tutorial using R to achieve
this, so any advice on it will be appreciated!

Further, after calculating the fractional change in vegetation with
analogous changes in MODIS LST, I want to do the linear regression for LST
as a function of the fractional changes but also I haven't found an
effective way to process it in R. I would also be grateful if you can give
some practical advice on it.

Thanks so much!

Henry