[RS-ecology] [Ext] GLCM Texture Calculations

Ilich, Alexander ailich at usf.edu
Fri Sep 4 16:53:56 CEST 2020

The glcm package is mentioned as a way to calculate texture metrics in the Remote Sensing and GIS for Ecologists using Open Source Software book. I've found the documentation for this package to be much clearer than alternatives such as GRASS's r.texture; however, I've noticed some odd behavior with the correlation metric with results going outside the bounds of -1 to 1. I was wondering if anyone knows why this occurs or how to troubleshoot it, and if comparisons have been done between the results of the glcm package and other software such as ENVI to ensure accurate results. I've included 2 links below that have a bit more detail and include example code.

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/278890/glcm-r-package-correlation-metric-values-outside-bounds-of-1-to-1
https://github.com/azvoleff/glcm/issues/6