[RS-ecology] Best practices for cloud-masking using L8 SR

Ben Carlson ben.s.carlson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:22:28 CET 2018

Hi Ruben,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not doing time-series analysis, but
instead looking at animal's fine-grained habitat use using movement data.
I'd like to avoid interpolation, because my landscape is a mosaic of
different habitats and transitions between habitats can be sharp, so I'm
worried that interpolation is not appropriate. I'm just hoping that I can
get enough clear pixels and then I'll remove any telemetry locations where
there is no NDVI data. Due to the high cloud cover in my study area, right
now I'm settling for a monthly (for each year) composite. I'm really only
interested in the summer months (~May to September). I plan to use this
monthly time-series variable as an input into a resource selection function.

I'm really interested to know if there are any best practices around using
the qa bits to detect clouds (or if there are better ways of masking
clouds). I looked around your rsMove code (very impressive!), but could not
find if you are doing any cloud masking. For example, when you do
interpolation, how do you decide that a particular pixel is not good and
should instead be interpolated?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Ben