[RS-ecology] removing images with poor signal-to-noise ratio

Benjamin Leutner benjamin.leutner at uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Mar 3 12:52:23 CET 2017

yes you are on the right track. The classic way to do that is the
maximum noise fraction transformation (MNF), which consists basically of
two chained PCAs:

Green et al (1988) A transformation for ordering multispectral data in
terms of image quality with implications for noise removal. IEEE
Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a free, readily usable implementation.
Orfeo toolbox is close, but does not yet provide a packaged command to
do it.
 From proprietary software, I remember that ENVI had a MNF function.

--
Benjamin Leutner M.Sc.