[RS-ecology] course: spatio-temporal analysis and big data processing

Martin Wegmann martin.wegmann at uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Feb 12 11:11:23 CET 2015

fyi

Summer school organized by www.spatial-ecology.net:

*SPATIO-TEMPORAL ANALYSIS AND BIG DATA PROCESSING USING FREE AND OPEN
SOURCE SOFTWARE *(basic and advanced levels)

Over the last few decades there has been an explosion in the availability
of data for environmental research, and in particular for spatio-temporal
analysis. We are now able to address a number of important questions, both
new and old, with unprecedented rigor and generality. Leveraging these
exciting new data streams requires tools and increasingly complex
workflows. This 6-day course introduces a set of free and open source
software (GRASS, R, Python, AWK, BASH, GDAL) to perform spatio-temporal
analysis and modelling of environmental data in a Linux environment. We
also introduce multi-core, cloud and cluster computation procedures. The
course consists of a set of lectures and practical hands-on sessions in
which participants perform spatial and temporal analysis using Geographic
Information System and Remote Sensing concepts. Although courses focuses on
the command line instead of the graphical user interface, no prior
experience with programming or command line interfaces is assumed or
required.  To cater to students with prior programming experience, we will
hold parallel sessions that introduce more advanced material. Our main
focus is on teaching self learning and problem solving more than the use of
specific tools (see: our teaching method
<http://www.spatial-ecology.net/giuseppe/publications/Amatulli_et_al_OGRS.pdf>)
so participants will be able to progress and adapt to learn the newest
available data science techniques.

*Location:  15-20 June 2015 - Matera - Italy*

More info at www.spatial-ecology.net:Staff

Dr. Giuseppe Amatulli (Yale University, USA
<http://sbsc.yale.edu/giuseppe-amatulli> ; www.spatial-ecology.net)

Dr. Stefano Casalegno (University of Exeter, UK
<http://www.exeter.ac.uk/esi/people/casalegno/> ; www.spatial-ecology.net)

Dr. Pieter Kempeneers (VITO <https://vito.be/en/land-use> ; pktools
<http://pktools.nongnu.org/html/index.html>)

Dr. Daniel McInerney ( Coillte Teoranta <http://www.coillte.ie>)

--
Giuseppe Amatulli, Ph.D.

Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University.
Jetz Lab, Room 405

P.O. Box 208106
New Haven, CT 06520-8106
Teaching: spatial-ecology.net
Work:  http://sbsc.yale.edu/giuseppe-amatulli
<http://www.spatial-ecology.net>

--
Dr. Martin Wegmann

Department of Remote Sensing
Remote Sensing and Biodiversity Research
University of Wuerzburg, Germany
-----
German Aerospace Center (DLR)
German Remote Sensing Data Center (DFD)